Monday, July 25, 2016

Get to know ARCA Racing Series driver Matt Kurzejewski

My 8th Q&A continues this week, with ARCA Racing Series driver Matt Kurzejewski. Kurzejewski currently drives the No.52 Toyota for Ken Schrader Racing.

1, When did you get an interest in racing?
Matt: I began racing Quarter Midgets/Microds at the age of 5 in Upstate, New York. My father was a NASCAR Featherlite Modified (currently NASCAR Whelen Modified) tour driver. Since before I can remember as a young child, if it had a motor and wheels, I was fascinated. There are pictures floating around of a little go kart that was gifted to me at a young age, probably 3-4, that I would ride around at home on a daily basis.

2. What's your biggest win to date?
Matt: My biggest win to date was at Tri-County Speedway in a UARA Late Model. This win is very important to me because I originally came from open modifieds, similar to my father. When I first made the jump into late models and full bodied stock cars, I struggled to figure it out, there were a lot of ups and downs. This win at Tri-County was my first win in a late model.

3. What's your pre-race ritual?
Matt: I don't really have pre-race rituals anymore. Up until this season I as very particular with maintaining specific routines, but I came to the realization that regardless what those routines may be, it wasn't going to effect the outcome of the race. Also, driving the Ansell/Menards car keeps me very occupied and busy at the track.

4. Name one talent you have which no one knows about?
Matt: It's a secret. If I wanted anyone to know, I would tell them.

5. Favorite Race Track?
Matt: I have a few race tracks I enjoy going to. Pocono is always a fun track to race at along with Iowa, but I have recently fallen for Winchester. I'd love to go back again this year.

6. Racing Hero Growing Up?
Matt: As a child I was always a Bill Elliott fan, as I grew older and to this day I've become a big Tim Richmond fan. I have great appreciation for Richmond's passion to drive race cars and win. I got to spend the day at Eldora with (Ken) Schrader and he is my hero. He just hopped in a truck, went out and qualified in the top 3 with ease, walks his way to win the heat race with ease and finished the race twelfth with a rear suspension failure and no rear shocks. I wish I was half the driver he is.

7. Which driver would you have liked to raced with from the past?
Matt: I would love to race with any of the greats from the past. Even better, I wish I was around to witness some of the greats such as Foyt, Parnelli Jones, Andretti, Richie Evans. I am intrigued by their passion for the sport, that was their way of life. Things are different today.

8. Day or Night Races?
Matt: Night races, hands down. I'd prefer to drive any race at night.

9. If you had a chance to design a racetrack somewhere. Where would it be and Why?
Matt: If I had the opportunity to design a race track anywhere, it would probably be in the Northeast and it would be something with progressive banking that you would run 3 wide, approximately 1 mile.

10. Finally, what's one track that you would like to race on that you haven't yet?
Matt: There are so many cool tracks around the world that are no longer in operation or existence that I'd love to race at, but I'd have to say that Lingotto would be pretty darn cool to race at.

No comments:

Post a Comment