Friday, August 5, 2016

Get To Know NASCAR Spotter Tony Hirschman

My 11th Q&A continues this week, with NASCAR spotter Tony Hirschman. Hirschman currently spots for Kyle Busch in the Cup Series, the no.18 in the Xfinity Series, and William Byron (no.9) in the Truck Series. He also spotted for Kyle Busch in a couple of truck races earlier this year.

1. When did you get an interest in racing?
Tony: Born into it, grew up to watch my dad Tony Hirschman race the Modifieds from a baby and loved it right away.

2. When did you begin spotting, and who was the first driver you spotted for?
Tony: Started spotting for my dad in 1994 in the Modifieds, spotted as many cars, and divisions as I could at first to gain experience.

3. Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Tony: No rituals, just eat well before I head to the spotter stand, and when I get up top make my notes off of our pit road map.

4. Name one talent that you have which no one knows about?
Tony: Not that I get to play anymore, but back in the day used to be a pretty descent basketball player, and used to play with my core group of high school friends every night.

5. Favorite Race Track?
Tony: Thompson, CT

6. Did you have a racing hero growing up?
Tony: My dad.

7. Is there any driver you wish you got to spot for from the past?
Tony: Tim Richmond

8. Day Or Night Races?
Tony: To spot-day races (overcast skies). To watch as a fan-night races.

9. If you had a chance to design a racetrack somewhere. Where would it be and Why?
Tony: Either the Pacific Northwest or Hawaii- the only 2 parts of the country I haven't visited yet.

10. Finally, what's track you wish that was still on the NASCAR schedule, or what's a track that's not on the schedule and you wish it was?
Tony: I'm old school- wish we still raced at Rockingham and North Wilkesboro, 2 great race tracks with history. Also wish Nazareth Speedway was still running, was my "home track" and was a drivers track, and fun to watch races there.

No comments:

Post a Comment