Friday, August 12, 2016

Get To Know NASCAR ON FS1 Analyst Wally Dallenbach

My 12th Q&A continues this week, with FOX Sports 1 analyst Wally Dallenbach. Before becoming an analyst, Dallenbach has competed in all three NASCAR national touring series events. He has also made starts in the SCCA Trans-Am Series, along with many other forms of racing as well. From 2001-2006, Dallenbach called races with Allen Bestwick, and Benny Parsons on TNT and NBC. Then called races on TNT for six races from 2007-2014. Nowadays, Dallenbach is a co-host for NASCAR Raceday on FS1 and FS2.

1. When did you get an interest in racing?
Wally: Was around it my entire life, really didn't know anything else.

2. What was your most memorable racing moment to date?
Wally: Winning first Trans Am race at Portland during IndyCar weekend with the entire family present.

3. How did you become an racing announcer?
Wally: By chance, a Cup team I had been driving for went out of business months before the Daytona 500. So I was out of a job. Calvin Fish called my brother and told him NBC was having auditions for the new TV package and I should call Benny Parsons to see if I could get in, I did, and the rest is history.

4. Name one talent you have which no one knows about?
Wally: I'm a pretty darn good cook when it comes to grilling. Love making wild game.

5. Favorite Race Track?
Wally: Riverside back in the day was my favorite. Love Watkins Glen, Talladega, and Michigan.

6. Who was your racing hero growing up?
Wally: My Dad was my racing hero. Not only for how he drove but how he was widely respected as a person.

7. What's the most exciting race you've called to date as an broadcast announcer?
Wally: Hard to pin down one. But, we have had some very close finishes at Daytona at the line. which is always fun when your not sure who won.

8. Day Or Night Races?
Wally: As a driver I preferred Day races. Probably as an announcer as well.

9. If you had a chance to design a racetrack somewhere. Where would it be and Why?
Wally: Love to find a cool setting in the mountains of Colorado somewhere. Make it a road course, could be the most beautiful facility in the world.

10. Finally, how do you feel about the future of NASCAR?
Wally: NASCAR has a great future. I think somehow just needs to get the cost in control. It doesn't get anymore cheaper to race anywhere these days. But it is much more difficult getting sponsors to pay the money to keep things going.

No comments:

Post a Comment