Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Get To Know NASCAR Driver Garrett Smithley

My 10th Q&A continues this week, with NASCAR Xfinity Series Driver Garrett Smithley. Smithley currently drives the no.0 Chevy in the Xfinity Series.

1. When did you get an interest in racing?
Garrett: When I was 2 or three years old, my Dad got me into watching NASCAR and I become a huge race fan. When I was 14, I got on some amusement park go karts and that's when I decided I wanted to be a driver. From then, I found Legends of Georgia and started racing Bandolero's and Legends.

2. If you weren't racing what would you career choice be? 
Garrett: Probably an actor. I've been involved in theater since I was 6 years old, and in High School I performed in several shows. 

3. What's your pre-race ritual? 
Garrett: I don't really have a pre-race ritual. I drink a lot of water and after the drivers meeting, we'll have a chapel service and after that I just chill out in the hauler and rest before the intros 

4. Name one talent that you have which no knows about? 
Garrett: I wouldn't say no one knows, but I can sing and play the piano. 

5. Favorite Race Track?
Garrett: 
My favorite track growing up was Lanier National Speedway where I won my first Legends race. NASCAR track....That's a tough one. I think Michigan International Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway (home Track) have to be tied for first, but man I love Pocono too! Whatever track i'm going to next, that's my favorite.

6. Racing Hero Growing Up? 
Garrett: Dale Jarrett. When I was young, I remember seeing is the #88 Ford Quality Care car and it was red, white, blue, and loved it. 

7. Which driver would you have liked to race with from the past?
Garrett: There's so many great legends out there. Racing in the Xfinity Series it's cool to learn and race with some future legends of the sport, but I've gotta say it would've been cool to race Dale Jarrett, Dale Earnhardt, and Richard Petty. 


8. Day or Night Races? 
Garrett: Night races are cool, but I love day races. The hotter and slicker the track then better for me. 

9. If you had chance to design a racetrack somewhere. Where would it be and Why?
Garrett: I've heard this question asked several times, and I honestly have no idea. I think I would want to design more of a racing complex with all kinds of disciplines. I'd build a mile and a half track that's bumpy like Atlanta, integrate a RC into it.  Also build and big road course like Watkins Glen on the property. Have a 3/8th mile track to race legends and late models on, and a dirt track. That way I can pick what I want to drive any time I want. 

10. Finally, what's one track that you would like to race on that you've haven't yet? 
Garrett: I think it would be really cool to go over and race Monza. There's several tracks in Europe that would be really cool to race like the Nurburgring or Monaco, but Monza is at the top of that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment